Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Drunken hamsters, unresponsive vps and decisions to make

this is what might happen if you allow everybody to build on your hypergrid enabled sim:




... an invasion of drunken hobo hamsters!
(Thank you, Pathfinder ^^)

I am glad someone has set up a new home for those little rascals, but...
i was in the process of changing the design of the base drastically and it would be a pity to destroy this.


The reasons why i want to redesign the base: this version is located at a height of 203m, with a water level of 200m. I noticed it lets me appear at that height on HG tp's sometimes...
Further the 128x128 location is just below the trains nose, so sometimes a visitor may appear under the construction. I really love the design =V= has set up, i just feel the base should be kept as lean and simple as possible to reduce the load we put on the servers and to reduce the loading time for newcomers.

While visiting the base it became once more quite unresponsive :(
This isnt caused by the design of the base  but the server hosting my little vps is not performing the way it should.
Although "top" only shows the usual 2-10% cpu usage and not even a third of the memory being used the server refused to answer, sometimes causing a chat lag of 20 or more seconds.
It seems this is a typical case of "you get what you pay for". I'll try to find a solution with the hosting company, if i cant get the cpu power i pay for i will have to look for a new provider.

Now i am hesitating a bit if we really should give this server a try for our first hg1.5 HGAC travel.
As an alternative i will place a really stripped down base on my other server (which seems to run more stable, but has only 1GB memory...)

Maybe one of my readers can give me a hint where i can rent an affordable, reliable server to run this on...

cu,
Neo

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I was hoping you'd stumble upon my little addition to HyperBase42. I like to make little scenes like that for folks to discover in their explorations.

    In fact, I'm thinking of making some inworld scenes that are part of my ongoing short story about the future of the metaverse. I hope to tell a story both in words and in virtual worlds themselves. We'll see how it progresses. ;)

    Since you're the grid owner, please feel free to use your admin powers to take ownership of the hamster hideout and move/copy/archive however you wish. I left it as a gift for you.

    ReplyDelete